Tuesday, March 6, 2012

February was for Dancing...

Oh, the blur of February! I had a landmark birthday and one of the things I did to celebrate it was to perform my first tribal duo. It was a whirlwind of exploring and choosing music, gathering coordinating gear and collaborating on the choreography with my dance partner. 

It struck me that the process was much like that of writing or of making tactile art ~ start with a vision and work your way towards it. Tweek this, refigure that, and fine-tune it until it feels just right.  And then there's the performance itself: exhilarating moments when time is shaped by sound and movement. I enjoyed every second of it.

This was taken on the day of the show:



I brought along my camera and captured some of the other performers:



A “wowza” moment:



And a tribal version of “The Three Graces.”




Now that March is here, I am re-reading Pratchette’s “Wintersmith” to make up for the not-quite winter that is now bordering on Spring.  Yes, those elementals can be tricky, but oh-so charming as well! And I’m pretty sure Granny Weatherwax will always be one of my heroes...


6 comments:

  1. What wonderful images! I can't think of a better way to spend February than in a whirl of color and movement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erze! February was a delightful whirlwind, and it included watching the big move you made as well :~)

      Delete
  2. Looks just wonderful!
    Very happy birthday to you, Donna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn! February was a banquet of creative projects, and it was interesting to observe how the process for each was both similar and different.

      Delete
  3. A grand event! Happy landmark birthday! Love the rich costumes. I realize I haven't sene an belly dancing in a long time... too stuck in the forest, I guess! Never read "Wintersmith"... I feel very behind in my booklist. Have a great March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerianna! Your forest is such a very wonderful place, lack of bellydancers not withstanding :~) It's not surprising you're behind in your booklist, with all the exciting work you've been doing in the new art cottage. It's such a pleasure to watch it manifest!

      Delete